Skip navigation

After at least a month with no updates, I finally decided to do an emerge world to update ganon, my desktop. Generally I’ve found with gentoo that updates work great if you do them regularly, but wait to long and let too many build up and bad things can happen. A month or so definitely puts me in dangerous waters.

So when I saw the results of the emerge –sync that I have as cronjob, I decided nearly 200 packages to update was probably as far as I could push it before finally updating.

Before leaving this morning I started an update, and other than a minor problem with apache (due to a change in the package which they explained how to deal with very well), everything worked. New kernel and all. Considering all the talk gentoo’s problems have been getting, I was worried, but it seems to have been for nothing.