Skip navigation

I’m very sad because I think my most recent attempt at brewing didn’t work too well.

This was the third time Beth and I tried to brew beer (not counting a few times in college, but I don’t think our tastes were too sophisticated then).

Our first two attempts were maple beer and a nut brown ale. Both of those came out pretty well. The nut brown ale was a little too light for my taste, but I think we just used a little too much water.

For our third try, we were going for a Honey Weizen. We had to put two pounds of honey into the mix after boiling the grains. It all seemed so promising. And considering the starting specific gravity, it could have ended up really strong.

Unfortunately, while I think the beer acquired a fair amount of alcohol, it didn’t get carbonated at all. We tried one about a week ago and another yesterday, and there is not bubble to be found. As bad a flat beer is, at least flat beer has know the touch of CO2. Not only is it a shame, but I don’t know what went wrong. We keep things just about as clean as possible (which is extremely important for proper brewing). I keep pretty careful records of everything.

So now I’m stuck with 40 something bottles of undrinkable, flat, Honey Weizen and no idea what went wrong.